Wednesday, February 4, 2009

In the essay Idiot Nation I found many things controversial. Moore basically said that those of us who know how to read but usually don't are "IGNORANT AND STUPID". I have a very different opinion. Not all of has time to sit down and read a book. Yes there was a time in my life when I truly enjoyed reading a book, however now I have to put everyone else before myself and well it just isn't a priority. I do not feel that I am Ignorant nor Stupid. Besides who is he to talk, he didn't even make one semester of college. Here I am a mother of three children, been out of school for ten years and I am going to school to get a degree. Who is stupid? Yeah I may not have the kind of money that Moore does, but hay some thing in life are more important than money.
However I do very much agree with Mr. Moore on the issue of the teachers not being appreciated enough for what they do. Yes, we should be thanking the teachers for devoting their life our children. Teachers do not make enough money for their dedication to our children's education.
I was unaware that schools are marketed by many name brand products such as Coke and Pepsi. I do remember having vending machines at school, but there are vending machines everywhere. Having vending machines so available could have something to do with the obesity increase in our children.
It is a wonderful thing that schools can receive money for products that many American families use every day. The box top's for school is awesome and it isn't necessarily making our children obese. Yes, many of these things are deserts and such but not all. The school then turns in the box tops for money to buy products that the school needs. Anyone who has children in school knows that they are always in need of many things.

3 comments:

  1. Heather,
    I don't think that Moore really thinks that teachers should be more appreciated. He certainly didn't give thanks to any of his teachers. I think that portion of the essay was the most offensive because of the blatant hypocrisy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael is very controversial but that is how he as a person needs to gain what he calls respect from others. He is no where near a role model for our society. I like your post and well put.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's weird but i actually agree with alot of what he said.. yes he was very blunt about the way he went about discussing some issues, but i think thats his way of getting peoples attention and trying to get people to listen. I think its awesome that he is so concerned about where the younger educations educational future is going. You mentioned you had three kids, and im sure you would want the best for them. But i liked some of the points you brought up about giving teachers more respect and apreciation, i could not agree with that more. Seeing as how i want to go into that field someday

    ReplyDelete