Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Response to Against School & I just want to be Average

In reading Against School Gatto Stated that he was cured of boredom forever yet in the opening he said "I became an expert in boredom." Well which is it. I under stand having moments of boredom, but when that is the case don't say you were cured of boredom forever. Maby he misunderstood the meaning of forever.
You can't question education simply because a few geniuses who weren't schooled became well known even famous inventors. Life is different today than in the early 1900's. Today it is mearly impossible to get a decent job without a high school education. There will always be a few genius, however education of any kind is incredibly important. With out education many things would be impossible. Most people wouldn't know how to read or even care to learn. I look at my five year old who has no interest in learning to read. If it is never a priority then what will he become.
In reading I just want to be Average, Rose knows what it is like to be average. Many students today find the need to want to fit in with the crowd. Which could be the reason so many kids are having trouble in school. In order to fit in with the in crowd you have to do what they do. In order to be cool you have to ditch school with them, do drugs, wear name brand cloths, and any of the other thing kids are doing these days.
Basically Rose is saying that the teachers were unknowledgeable in the skills they were teaching. Basically in order for the football coach to coach at this school he needed to teach a class as well. This can still be seen today. Many of the caches at my school knew little to nothing about what they were teaching. The only thing they cared about was the team. However because the teacher was so dumb everyone would pass the class.
Wanting to be Average is not always good enough. Sometimes we have to stretch out of our skin to get anywhere in life. If I only wanted to be average then why the hell am I putting my self through school when I could take the easy way out and just stay home and play with my kids. I want to do something with my life more than being a mother. I want to make a difference in someones life. I want to be more than average.

1 comment:

  1. Heather,
    I understand perfectly the argument you have about the educational program. Your thoughts are well put together. I also loved the fact that at the end you say "I want to be more than average." That is a great thought and something more people should stive to attain.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Maddi

    ReplyDelete