Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Education Debate

In the essay The Roots of Debate in Education and the hope of Dialogue I related to the Part on Integrating Women in the Classroom Army. It was stated that, "girls often receive less attention and speak up less in class". I found this to be true, in our class the majority of the time the men are the one's who have comments and speak up. I am not downing any of them, however it was interesting to read about this and be able to compare it to the classes that I am currently attending. Maby there are many reasons for it. Often times men are of few words and women are of many. maby we just let them have their time to talk because we do it all day. I agree with Tannen on the fact that students need to be challenged, each student is different and each learn differently. I like that teachers take the time to teach children to speak and think formally. Speaking formally is an important skill that not all students learn. I am not sure that I agree that knowledge is best learned through debate. There are many ways to learn knowledge, it depends on the person and their learning skills what would be the best way to learn. All in all I in joyed the essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment